Monday, August 10, 2015

Rest follow up:

A few days ago I talked about rest. I really had no idea what I needed to do to achieve a lifestyle of rest. I still don't have all of the answers so don't get too excited.

But-- I had two small moments I want to share with you:

(Both of these occurred when I was laying in my bed not thinking about rest at all)

1. This idea flew into my thoughts: kick your cell phone out of your bed. In fact, end the night time relationship. End it and kick that thing out of your room.

So, I relocated my phone to the kitchen. I got back in bed, snuggled up in my covers and...

2. A second thought flew into my mind: get out of bed, walk to the threshold of your bedroom door and let your thoughts go before you walk back inside. No more thought conversations with people who you will see tomorrow. No more worries about the days' troubles. Leave them at the threshold of the door and walk inside.

As I got back into bed, I felt the Lord speak wisdom into my heart: 'the bedroom is a place of rest and connection. Only connect with the people and situations in your room that are actually there with you.'

Right now, the only two beings here are me and God. At some point, this space will include a husband or a child or both. Connect with the people in the present. Not the hypothetical ones or the mirages of those you will see tomorrow. The bedroom is a space of rest NOT a stage for worry rehearsal. 

God is teaching me to reset the culture of my room from just another compartment of worry to a haven of rest and restoration. 

I haven't lived out dropping my thoughts at the door perfectly, but this isn't about perfection. This is about growing and moving. And I really like where this rest journey is taking me...

No comments:

Post a Comment