Sunday, January 31, 2016

The Strength of Femininity

Recently, I have observed differences in a sense of femininity. To me, there are a few perversions to femininity that actually hinder and can aid in distorting masculinity and vice versa.

To some women, femininity is rejected, and a more masculine form of this is taken on. I'm not even talking about women who identify themselves as homosexual--nor am I talking about women who are simply more "tom boy" but who identify themselves as heterosexual.

I'm talking about women who take on an "I hate men" mentality. And paired with that is often a sense of "I must be crude and non-emotional if I am going to be a strong woman".

There is another perversion of femininity that is the oversexualized woman. I'm not talking about a woman who is sexy. I am talking about women who find their strength in portraying themselves as objects of sex.

PLEASE do not misunderstand me here, I am not suggesting that it is wrong or against femininity for women to be sexy. I think this is something that should be embraced and is very much a part of femininity. What I am talking about is an over exaggeration of this part of femininity so that it translates to identity.

I really don't think that most men will disagree with me when I say that a woman's sexiness can be powerful.

Sexiness is a part of femininity just like sexiness is a part of masculinity.

But it is a part. It is not a part that is "less holy" and should be divorced from these terms, nor is it a part that should be overly elevated. It is a necessary and good part of both masculinity and femininity.

Femininity can simply be defined as womanliness.

It is the very essence of being a woman.

There is strength and power in womanhood; yet it is different than the strength and power in manhood.

It is different, but it is equal.

I believe that true femininity is not weakness, but a powerful strength to be reckoned with. It is not simply being emotional; men have emotions too. It is not simply being loving; men are loving too. It is not simply being attractive; men are attractive too. It is the very essence of being a woman.

It is embracing the form of the woman-- the body, the mind, and the heart as equal parts of strength. Equal to the strength of a man, and yet different.

I'm not trying to make comments on gender roles or anything like that-- I'm simply trying to say that femininity is strength, not weakness. If you are a woman, embrace and explore what it means to be feminine.


No comments:

Post a Comment